Tilling is a crucial practice of breaking up the soil to prepare a landscape or seedbed. Due to improved water flow and air circulation, there is an improvement in soil structure. A rotavator modifies the hard soil to give it a smooth structure. It mixes the soil until it turns fine enough to plant seeds. It is important for farmers to select a rotavator based on the job type. For instance, a mini rotavator works on two wheels to prepare gardens.
On the contrary, large farms demand heavy-duty and robust rotavators that can source power from the power take-off shaft of tractors. The rotavator price in India also depends on its size and required tractor power. Check out the tractor rotavator price list 2023 to find the rotavator in India that suits your farm needs and budget.
In this ultimate guide, we will discuss everything you need to know about using a rotavator for preparing the soil, including how to choose the right machine, how to prepare the soil, and how to operate the rotavator.
How to Choose the Right Rotavator
Choosing the right rotavator is essential to achieve the best results. Various types of rotavators are available, ranging from small handheld tillers to large machines pulled behind a tractor. Before you buy & sell rotavator implement, you need to consider the following factors:
- Farm size: A small handheld tiller might be sufficient if you have a small garden. However, if you have a large farm, you will need a larger machine that can cover more ground in less time.
- Budget: The tractor rotavator implements the latest price varies depending on its size, features, and quality. Determine how much you can spend and choose a machine that meets your agriculture needs within your budget.
- Soil type: Different types of soil require different kinds of rotavators. If the soil is clayey, a rotavator is necessary that can handle dense soil.
How to Prepare the Soil
Before you explore the rotavator price list, know how to prepare the soil properly. Following are the steps to be followed for soil preparation:
- Removal of plants/weeds: Farmers must remove weeds or plants from the ground where they want to use the rotavator. It will prevent weeds from damaging or clogging the machine.
- Soil loosening: The next step is to loosen the soil using a spade or garden fork to make the work of the rotavator easier.
- Removal of debris/rocks: You must remove any stones or debris from the soil to prevent damage to the blades of the machine.
- Addition of organic matter: You can add organic matter to the soil to increase its nutrients and improve its structure.
How to Operate Your Rotavator
Below are the steps to follow when using a rotavator:
- Ensure the rotavator is on a levelled surface and start its engine.
- You must adjust the depth of the rotavator blades according to the soil type. For example, you must adjust the depth to a deeper setting if you have hard or compacted soil.
- The next step is to till the soil by moving the rotavator slowly in the forward direction. You need to keep a steady pace and ensure the blades are not clogged with soil or debris.
- Stop the rotavator to check the soil periodically. If it is too dry or wet, adjust the depth or speed of the rotavator accordingly.
- Once the soil is tilled, you must rake the field to remove debris and level the ground.
Additional Tips on Using a Rotavator
1. Soil Preparation
Before using a rotavator, preparing the soil by removing large rocks, roots, or debris is crucial. It will prevent damage to the rotavator blades and ensure the soil is evenly tilled. Farmers must understand that the rotavator price in India depends on its size. For example, the rotavator price 7 feet in India will differ from those of other sizes like 3 feet, 5 feet and 12 feet.
2. Speed Control
There are several factors on which the rotavator’s speed depends, like the soil type, the depth of tilling, and the size of the rotavator. Usually, it is best to start at a slower speed and steadily increase it as per the need.
3. Depth Control
Most rotavators have a depth control lever that allows farmers to adjust the tilling depth. Setting this to the appropriate depth for the soil type and the task is essential. If they set it too deep, they may damage the soil structure and cause compaction. Farmers may not achieve the desired tilling level if it is too shallow.
It is important to perform regular maintenance tasks such as cleaning the blades, checking the oil level, and tightening loose bolts or screws. It helps to ensure that the rotavator operates at peak performance. If any damage or excessive wear is noticed, replace the damaged parts before reusing the rotavator.
5. Tilling Pattern
A top rotavator implement in India can save time and effort, mainly if a large farm exists. You must consider the tilling pattern you want to achieve. If you have to create rows for planting, you must adjust the machine’s tilling width to match the planting rows’ width.
Another key factor is the timing of using a rotavator. It is best to wait until the soil has dried out after rain or watering to prevent compacting the soil. It would be best not to use a rotavator during extremely wet conditions, as it can cause soil compaction and damage the machine.
By following these tips and considerations, you can make the most out of your rotavator and achieve the desired level of tilling for your garden or plot of land. When using a rotavator, wearing appropriate safety gear, including eye and ear protection and sturdy footwear, is important.
Keep bystanders and pets away from the area of operation, and never operate the rotavator while under the influence of illegal substances. Always keep safety in mind and maintain your rotavator regularly to ensure optimal performance. Go through the list of rotavator implement price 2023 to check their affordability.